Sunday, November 7, 2010



Soooo...after consuming a hearty helping of Vegan Mofo blogs today, I have come across this fun little survey. I am super nosy and enjoy discovering random facts (especially when they are veganized!) about most people I interact with (whether it be in a real meeting or through learning about a person from his/her blog).

If you are like me.. enjoy my share of vegan idiosyncrasies...

(There is a good chance that most people find surveys tedious. If you happen to be one of those people, you should happily skip to the next Mofo-er on the list, because in an attempt to warn you, I am long-winded..)


What is one food you thought you’d miss when you went vegan, but don’t?

Hmmm... buttered popcorn?? Now, I would be overly excited to eat plain, air-popped, pop corn; however, I don't have an air popper :(

What is a food or dish you wouldn’t touch as a child, but enjoy now?

Easy peasy: brussel sprouts and tomatoes. Oh my goodness was I missing out when I was a kid!! I haven't had brussel sprouts since I have been in K-town, but tomatoes are (thankfully) abundant.

What vegan dish or food you feel like you “should” like, but don’t?

(Get ready...1-2-3 gasp) I actually don't really like tofu. I can handle a few cubed bites mixed in with a few Korean delicacies, but other than that.. I really only enjoy the cute little drawings that people create involving tofu.

And.. I don't like "vegan" meats: Boca burgers.. chik'n... etc.

And.. let's add any kind of fake cheese to the list (I was never a fan of real cheese)

Wow. Way to be a Negative Nancy :)!!

I've decided that I'm probably the most boring vegan ever.

What beverage do you consume the most of on any given day?

I wish that I could answer this question by writing water.

Unfortunately, the truth is black coffee *sigh*. At one point in my life I ALMOST kicked the habit,... but I absolutely love it. LOOOVE it. I am passed the "I need it to stay awake phase." I admit that I love the buzz, but I actually enjoy it more for the taste, the smell, holding the hot cup in my cold, winter frozen hands (haha.. I'll even drink it hot in the middle of a sweltering summer day!), sipping it while I read, and enjoying the wonderful compliment it provides to conversation.

What dish are you “famous” for making or bringing to gatherings?

When I attended my university, I made damn good cookies, but at that time, I wasn't vegan. As my vegetarianism blossomed into veganism, I was working constantly and lost my passion for the kitchen... I think it would be fun to get into vegan baking, but I do not have an oven.

At gatherings, I have been known to throw together a pretty mean veggie plate!!!

Do you have any self-imposed food rules (like no food touching on the plate or no nuts in sweets)?

I am awfully picky (translation: annoying), so I'm sure that I have some weird food rules. At the moment, I can't think of any though...

What’s one food or dish you tend to eat too much of when you have it in your home?

Trail mix. The end.

What ingredient or food is worth spending the extra money to get “the good stuff”?

Coffee. While living in Korea, I have spent too much money on finding and drinking good coffee. Also, I'll often splurge on top-shelf produce...

Are you much of a snacker? What are your favorite snacks?

I am definitely a snacker; I like to eat little meals all day long! hehe. I usually just snack on fruit... chestnuts (they are plentiful here) veggies, or just a little rice.

Geesh.. even my snacks are boring.

What are your favorite vegan pizza toppings?

AHHH! When I was living in Nashville, one of my favorite places to eat at was a restaurant called the Mellow Mushroom. While I don't miss too many foods from back home, I can instantly start to drool a little when thinking of their vegan pizza!! It was topped with sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, broccoli, peppers, onions, AMAZING pizza sauce, and artichoke hearts. The dough was lightly brushed with olive oil making the puffy crust seem like clouds glazed with a little morning sunshine.

Oh no... cue drool.

What is your favorite vegetable? Fruit?

Most of what I consume are fruits and vegetables; therefore, my favorites in each category are constantly changing. Currently they are as follows:

Favorite veggie: broccoli

Favorite fruit: Asian pears

What is the best salad dressing?

My own!!! It is a mix of balsamic vinegar, a pinch of apple cider vinegar, super-spicy red pepper powder, a wee bit of garlic, and a little cumin.

What is your favorite thing to put on toasted bread?

Wow. No exaggerations.. it has been almost two years since I have had bread!!! It isn't that I don't want to eat bread, I just 1) don't have any craving strong enough to purchase good bread, and 2) I don't have the resources to make it myself. I also don't have a toaster... this isn't a good question for me.

BUT..

If I had access to Ezekiel bread and a kick-a toaster, I would be spreading natural peanut butter, topping with sliced bananas, and sprinkling that fine mess with a little cinnamon.

What kind of soup do you most often turn to on a chilly day or when you aren’t feeling your best?

Mmmm... I love a good bowl of 콩나물국!! Although, any Korean soup that I have had (veganized, of course... I have discovered that most K-soup is made with some type of seafood broth), has been wonderful. Among all of the magical skills that Koreans have, cooking ranks high on the list.


(I'm borrowing this photo from Korean Gourmet...)
(Also... sometime this month I'll put together an entry of my favorite veganized K-food!)

What is your favorite cupcake flavor? Frosting flavor?

I have a confession: Even though I have been vegan for over three years now, I have only ever had vegan cupcakes twice!! I know, I know.. what is wrong with me?!?! When I was living in Nashville, I once dined on a batch of cupcakes baked by my dear friend Lacey. The only way that I can try to describe how good they were that their taste was as astoundingly magical as the goddess Aphrodite was known for her beauty (that makes sense...right?)

Of course the recipe was from:


I'm not certain of their name, but I'm sure it is something like Oreo Heaven or Oreogasms (hehe..that was too easy, I couldn't resist).

And another Nashvillian, my dear friend and gluten-free chef extraordinaire Megan put together simple, vegan, and gluten-free chocolate cupcakes. The frosting was simple... just regular cupcake frosting? I don't know how else to write about it other than it was brightly colored and tasty??

What is your favorite kind of cookie?

While I haven't sampled a great assortment of vegan pastries, I've tried my fair share of cookies!!! I used to work at Whole Foods and we sold cookies from the Alternative Baking company.


and... I can't choose a favorite. I remember ALL of the flavors I tried being GREAT!!

Although, after seeing many of the Mofo cookie pics out there... I'm sure there are a few bakers who could put these cookies to shame!!

What is your most-loved “weeknight meal”?

*sigh* I'm the most boring vegan ever.

If you haven't read any of my previous entries, I need to tell you that I get stuck in food ruts. MAJOR food ruts..

Right now, I'm consuming sweet potatoes as if every meal were my last (sometimes I get dangerous and I'll throw my rut off by switching to broccoli and/or spinach..)!!

What is one dish or food you enjoy, but can’t get anyone else in your household to eat?

:( I'm the only one in my house.

When I was dating my boyfriend long ago, we had very opposite views on peppers. While I passionately love them, they made (possibly still make?) him gag (if anyone cares, that wasn't the deal-break though.. hehe).

How long, in total, do you spend in the kitchen on an average day?

Pffftt... 15 min? Honestly, should I have even been allowed to join Mofo??


Ok... it is obvious that cooking isn't necessarily my thing. Yet, I am incredibly passionate about the food that I eat!! Every time that I eat something, I am making a choice to love others, love the earth, and to love myself. I am by NO MEANS perfect. I'm sure that some of the coffee I've consumed in the past comes from places where fair wages haven't been paid... or perhaps some of the fruits/veggies I have eaten have made nomadic travels to reach their final destination.

But..

I am attempting to live a vegan lifestyle and show as much compassion as I possibly can. My hope is that it will inspire others to "fight the good fight"-not necessarily by becoming vegan, but to simply become more aware of the daily choices that they make.

On a side-note... I have been an excellent little blogger!! *pat self on back* I went from MONTHS in between posts to writing EVERYDAY!! Woooo..way to go progress :)

1 comment:

Islaborg said...

Ha, this survey has been sitting as a draft in my queue.

I'm like you when it comes to snacks, I'm constantly eating or drinking something.

Your salad dressing sounds very nice, nom.

Korean soups and stews are fantastic, I could live on that stuff!

The German in me cringes at the thought of having no bread for 2 years, I applaud your strength. :)

You've been an excellent mofo-blogger, keep it up!