Thursday, November 6, 2008

love is not what you see in the movies. although, sometimes it feels that way...

(Disclaimer: Again, my enter button is broken...I'm sorry about my huge, chunk of a post). This morning while I drank my coffee and ate sticky oatmeal at Bongo, I eavesdropped intently with my eyes on a couple enjoying breakfast together. They were aged slightly older than my parents but not as far into life as my grandmother and grandfather. Minute by minute the sun slowly woke up by inching its rays up the man's face. Unaware of the eye strain the sun caused him, the woman happily sipped at her latte while he would lean in closer to carry on their conversation. Their breath puffed out sharp clouds of laughter in the brisk outside air, as they couldn't keep their eyes on the sections of the newspaper they shared. In between sentences, words, the man would break his gaze, forcing the woman to put down her paper and answer to his endless parade of wit. I can only assume they chatted over election results, how much better organic produce tastes, and the newest, crazy antic that their dog came up with last night. The picture of the two caused my own eyestrain. In the back of my mind is a memory of back home. A couple, aged perfectly to have a 24 year old daughter, sitting apart in a dimly lit room. They argue over watching Star Trek or Trading Spaces until one surrenders and goes to bed. This is how I remember them: no newspapers, no morning coffee under a ceiling of sparkling Autumn leaves, no laughter, nothing magical and nothing special...anymore. My Bongo couple finished breakfast and the woman inhaled her last espresso sip. Her husband, as I noted by his tarnished ring, grabbed her around the waist and whisked her into a goodbye kiss. In my haphazardly placed happiness to witness love but simultaneously feel slightly sick, a friend, whom I haven't seen in a few months, broke the moment. His smile was ridiculously refreshing and after a long, heavy, but great conversation, my heart felt warm and rekindled. Love, in all of its powerful forms..including friendship, is not simply important...but is a necessity, like the heart pumping blood to every facet of the body. In our goodbye, the canopy of trees rained with yellow leaves, trapping everyone sitting outside in a storm of fall weather. I was, of course, thankful to be having the best day of my life...

No comments: