Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I'm not good a blogger. I suppose I'm stating the obvious considering my last post reads from Nov. 3... and it is now well into March.

The problem, I believe, lies in the blank box dedicated for one's post. It is daunting to me. I keep a personal journal where I have no problem recording my monotonous and trivial thoughts; however, when I am attempting to create a blog post, the cursor teases me, saying, "What's next? Oh..and by the way... no one will want to read this."

This blog was originally created to record my vegan transformation.

As much as becoming vegan is fascinating to me (honestly I get excited to scrutinize food packages and read aloud chemical additives in twinkies) it is assuredly a ridiculous feat to others that always prompts the question, "What in the world do you eat?", coupled with a gaping mouth and other forms of body language labeling me weird.

The question to me now is... is this blog really an outlet for myself? I guess it entirely can not be so if it is open for public viewing.

Therefore.. this is my final post strictly related to my veganism. Enjoy.

I have been vegan since September 1, 2007. It has been 6 months of growing.. changing... failing... starting over etc. Yet, it has been one of the best decisions that I have ever made for myself. Everyday I feel that I learn something new: a brand of juice I enjoyed contains dairy... a certain type of bread that I thought was vegan is made with a whey product... and the ONLY vegan thing available at Carrabba's (I don't work there anymore though...) is salad.

Let's make beef: We will need 2,500 gallons of water, 35 lbs. of topsoil,
12 lbs. of grain and the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline to produce one pound of feedlot beef! It would take a complete dumb ass not to agree with me that this is just a lil' bit wasteful.

Also, 70% of US grain production is fed to livestock. I love me some livestock (I grew up on a horse farm..yay and nay) but there are quite a few people starving in our world.

A final thought: Our country's petting zoo creates ten times the waste produced by the human population. WOW. That is a LOT of poo.

Enough of my preaching because I'm probably just as guilty as everyone else. Yet I feel that we can at least TRY to do something about all of this... which is one of the main reasons that I made my decision (I'm not even going to start on the free health benefits...).

Even though I often feel so small and I question how just little me, one person, can make any kind of a difference.

Yet, I have decided that if I just carelessly continued on without any attempt to change, then nothing will be accomplished... no matter how small of an effort or contribution it may be.
*******************************
Small update:

I have gone from Starbucks.. to Carrabba's... to Borders.. and now to...
Whole Foods.

I am so happy. I start on Saturday.
*******************************

This is what I'm currently reading:



and



Both women are amazing writers and their words are challenging me in two entirely different ways.

I think I'm done for today and hopefully I'll post again before four months go by again :)

Have a good day and don't get lost.

2 comments:

Olive Anne said...

Hey patty,
I come to your blog EVERY day.. and now yay something new to read. I switched my blog over.. it's now mostly about Olive. I miss you a lot!
I like how you're posting what you're reading. I should do that. I've been reading so much. So whole foods huh? What are you doing there? Congrats! I wish I could get a job w. It's too far :(
Meg.

patty and the beanstalk said...

HEEEYYYY!!! Awww Megan it is SOOO good to hear from you! I seriously miss having you in my life...

I am SO excited about Whole Foods. I start on Saturday and I can't wait!!! It is weird.. I'm going to be getting a raise by going there, yet, stepping down (I was a supervisor at Borders) from a higher position. The company is incredible.. and since I go there for coffee (literally every morning.. i'm ridiculous)I've met many amazing people!!!!

I've been reading voraciously...when you need a break from baby books, you should read "candy girl" by Diablo Cody (she wrote juno).. it is wildly enlightening and SUCH a good read!!!

My day off this week is thursday.. and I work EVERY other day. I am unsure of my sched next week.. but I want to see you! I'll even drive to Spring Hill!!

You look absolutely beautiful and I love reading about your little olive :)

Take care, my friend- you are amazing!

love you-
patty